The first step in building a website or a blog is to find your niche. It is logical that before niche selection, we have to discuss the basic concepts.
What is a niche?
Dictionary.com defines niche: A distinct segment of a market, a specialized and profitable part of a commercial market.
Wikipedia definition: A niche market is the subset of the market on which a specific product is focused. The market niche defines the product features aimed at satisfying specific market needs. It is also a small market segment.
In more simple words, a niche market is simply a smaller part of a larger market addressing a common interest or a problem. The more specific that topic the better.
Two examples to further explain what does niche mean:
1. Say, you have a passion for finance which is a huge industry.
In this case, following are considered as niches (specialized fields) in finance industry:
- Equities and stocks
- Foreign exchange
- Debt servicing
- Credit/Debit cards
- Personal finance
- Gold rates and reserves
- Small businesses
It is important that you must select any of the niches of an industry before starting your online work.
2. Let’s take one more example.
Suppose you want to build a health-related website. Now, health is a big industry and out of this, you should find your niche, the specific area you want to address:
- Diseases and remedies
- Weight loss
- Exercise and fitness
- Dietary supplements
- Dental health
- Mental health
Hope you understand the basic concept of the niche market.
4 Important Factors to Find Your Niche
What are the things you are passionate about?
- Hiking, Gaming, Swimming, Graphic designing, writing…?
- Any favorite hobby?
- Any special skill?
- Helping clients?
- Managing other people?
- Selling products?
- Do you have solutions to some problems?
- Any experience which you want to share?
- Anything that would be of value to people?
There must be some things which you just love and able to do for hours and hours. It's best to find your niche where you have natural talent and skills.
Make a list of all these tasks, do some soul searching, think hard and take plenty of notes during this process to find your niche. What else...
Call friends. Ask your kids. Phone your parents or your siblings and anyone else who can jog your memory. It’s so easy to miss what others see.
Finalize two or three areas; thinking of them your heart beats, you breathe fast and feel excited about.
2. Number of Visitors
You should also consider how many people share the interest you have. Your niche market must be broad in appeal as you don’t want to end up in an industry that is too small, where you can’t grow or scale your business.
How to do this? How to check the number of people who are interested in your niche site? Go to Google and search your niche. See how many results are shown on Google. I would not personally pick an industry with less than a billion Google results.
Although this does not show the full picture, actually a small part of a bigger process, it shows instant demand.
You can also use ‘Keyword Planner’ which I’ll discuss later in this post.
Most of the ‘Gurus’ advise going for a niche market with less competition. My opinion is opposite to that. Do not worry too much about low or high competition. Instead, your focus should be on searching for your true passion and natural talent .. and then follow this even it has high competition. You can easily outperform others in this case.
There is a much debate whether to go for less or high competition ... but frankly speaking, you have no need to bother about all this. You are not a professional internet marketer, rather your position is that you just want to follow your passion and make some money in the process.
Why Competition Is A Good Thing
- Competition shows high demand.
- The more competition equals more potential for growth of that niche.
- Competition means a high number of potential visitors.
- High competition shows more customer online ready to spend money.
- It means there are already products you can promote as an affiliate and make money.
4. Numbers of Advertisers
When you search for your niche on Google, are there ads displaying at the top and side of the search results?
What does this show? If there are advertisers paying to advertise there, it's because there's money in that niche.
Note down how many ads you get and who is advertising and what they are selling. You may be able to promote their products later as an affiliate so it's useful to know.
The Game Plan
Before starting research about your selected niche, it is essential that you must grasp the big picture.
How we are going to make money and what is its relation to ‘Niche Selection’? What is the whole game plan?
Missing this big picture causes too many confusions and misunderstandings.
- You selected a niche about which you are very passionate or you have much knowledge that you want to share.
- You build a website (you’ll find how in next step) and write amazing articles and posts of unmatched quality about that topic.
- In the meantime, you are also promoting your blog on social media to get more and more visitors.
- Gradually, the number of your visitors' increases and they love and share what you write.
- Day by day, you build a trust among your readers.
- Now when you find a good product which is really helpful for your visitors and you recommend this, they would definitely buy this.
- Whenever they buy through your link, you'll make a commission. This is called affiliate marketing.
As the number of your visitors increases so as your chances of making more money rises. In this way, you make quite a lot of money.
Then there are many other modes of earning too which I described on my Home Page of this blog. But this is the most basic and easy to learn method of online income.
Note of Caution:
This is a very simple and natural method .. but you know the greed of mankind! Majority of people turn this process upside down and want to earn money in the first step. This is a very common mistake and may be you also find yourself trapped in it.
The fact is that without building any readership and trust, it's just not possible to earn money online. You've to serve before you earn.
How To Find Your Niche: Step By Step
After soul-searching, research and paperwork, suppose you find your niche that you love. What next to do? Here is a step by step process what you should do to research more about your niche:
Visit these sites:
If you have not account on these sites, simply click above links, then click ‘Sign up’ button, enter some basic information about yourself .. and you’ll get login details within minutes.
After logging in, search your niche on these sites by following this path:
Clickbank > Market Place (on top menu bar) > Niches (see the right side bar)
Amazon > Departments
Magazines > All Categories
There are a number of other places where you can get more information about your niche, but to start with, these three sites provide more than enough information.
- Visit these sites often and spend time just playing around until you get used to them.
- Check all the three sites and see what is related to your niche. Make plenty of notes.
- What are the variations or additional features available which you never think of earlier? Note them too.
Go to Google.com and search your niche. If you found results in millions, then it’s a green signal. The more the number of results, the better they are.
In the first page of Google search results (commonly called SERP means Search Engine Result Page), do you find any ads on top or on side bar? Having ads on SERP is a positive sign that niche is profitable .. that’s why advertisers are paying Google to show their ads.
Go to Google Keyword Planner and click 'Create an account' (if you don't have one); simply fill up your personal details. Next, follow these guidelines:
- You'll land on Keyword Planner page.
- Go to “Find New Keywords” and click the first row "Search for new keywords".
- Then, under “Your Product or Service”, write the name of your niche. As for the sake of example, I write "lose weight fast". Leave other two rows.
- Next, scroll down on the same screen and there are many options or filters are given to refine your search. Keeping all other filters same, click ‘Keyword options’.
- Another box appears and you just have to switch on the button that says ‘Only show ideas closely related to my search terms’. Leave all other options given there. Save it and then click ‘Get Ideas’.
- When results appear, make sure that you are on ‘Keyword Ideas' tab, and not in 'Ad Group Ideas' which is for advertisers.
Note only two things on all this keyword data:
- Check the average number of searches your niche term (or Keyword) shows
- Note down all variations/additions to your niche market which are searched
The criteria: Your favorite niche term must show minimum 1000 searches.
Look for long tail keywords.
‘What is a keyword?’ you may ask.
When people open Google for looking up certain information, what they write in Google search box is not a complete sentence … but some words or phrase. These are known as keywords. For example, a person may want to lose its weight and write ‘weight loss’ or ‘how to lose weight fast’. These are two examples of keywords.
Using its splendid algorithm, Google keeps a record of all of these searched terms and shows these numbers in Keyword Planner Table.
What is a Long-tail Keyword?
Say, you are passionate about ‘weight loss’ and you know much about this topic.
But the problem is that it is too broad. There are many angles of weight loss and you must drill it further to get targeted visitors.
You must define your target market specifically. Do you want to build a website about ‘weight loss by exercise’ or do you want to target ‘weight loss diets’ or want to focus ‘weight loss products’? All these are examples of long tail keywords.
These are also called sub-niches and once you build a targeted website, it is really easy to build loyal visitors which you can turn easily into buyers.
Put it another way. Let’s consider this example that, say, you are a woman looking to get back into shape after pregnancy. Would you prefer advice from a 25 year old guy or a mum of 2 kids who still looked great?
People are really busy and when they search Google, they want Google to show quick and targeted results. They want specific advice tailored to their situation. And that’s why long tail keywords is a great way to start with.
If you just write general content and your advice is designed for everyone, you end up appealing to no one. You’ll be washed out by your competitors in no time. That’s why long term keywords are more helpful in building a long term earning website.
All of the following are long-tail keywords of niche market 'weight loss':
Weight loss tea Searches 10K – 100K
Weight loss tablets Searches 10K – 100K
Weight loss foods Searches 10K – 100K
Weight loss drinks Searches 10K – 100K
Weight loss products Searches: 1K – 10K
… and surely when you search the term in Keyword Planner, you would find thousands of these long tail keywords.
These long tail keywords have three advantages:
- The visitors are more targeted and focused.
- As they trust you, there are more chances that they buy your products.
- Being an authority site, they are easier to rank on Google first result page and so yield much free traffic.
This is the reason it is always suggested to go for long-tail keywords.
5 All-Time Hot Niches
In internet marketing, some niches are called evergreen niches due to the following reasons:
- These have a proven track record.
- They are always in high demand.
- Lots of customers easy to find online.
- Limitless products on sale.
- A huge number of websites, social media groups, and forums.
- High buying rates
- Huge amount of money is made
What are these niches? These are the areas of life where everyone seeks happiness:
Health - Everyone desires good health and fitness; a life free of diseases and pains. You will never short of visitors in this niche.
Wealth - Everyone on the face of this planet not only wants a stable income but also more and more earning ... to satisfy needs without worries.
Relationship / Romance - Everyone’s life is incomplete without a loyal partner. People want to have happy relationships in their lives.
These 3 niche markets (Health, Wealth, Relationship) are most favorite around the world. The other two are:
Hobbies / Interests – It’s hard to find anyone without having any habits or interests. So it's an evergreen niche.
Self Improvement – Everyone wants to improve his/her productivity and grooms his personality.
So the point is: If you work in any of these 5 niches then you can't miss the target.
Still Confused ... And Not Getting It!
I'll never leave you like that ... depressed and desperate!
See, it happens to all of us that after all our efforts, we don't just get it.
So the first thing you should do ... is to take a deep breathe ... and relax. It's not a rocket science. It's just that when you try something the first time, you naturally fail one or two times.
Next, never read all this stuff just for knowledge. Because knowledge without action has no value. So stop reading and start doing. Do all these tasks step by step. TAKE ACTION! And unfortunately, it's the point where most of the beginners fail. If you've some confusions, just click this Contact Page and I'll be glad to help you.
Finally, if you are still stuck, then the last thing is to get more guidance from online courses. There are a number of courses for niche selection but most of them are just after your money.
So to save your time and effort, I've researched all available courses and then hand picked a course for you.
Here is the product I recommend for Niche Selection:
NICHE SHERPA VIDEO COACHING COURSE
Special Offer (Time Limited):
- Try Niche Sherpa for 14 Days (for only $4.95); then $23 per month
- Plus You Have 60 Days Money Back Guarantee